SM4L Position Statements
We are a focused movement to united education advocates across the United States to fight back against the unwanted takeover of our country by far-right, anti-government, extremist organizations such as Moms for Liberty.
We Support Educators and Believe That:
• Educators are trusted experts. They have training, experience, knowledge and competency to make the right decisions for their students including age-appropriate books, curriculum, and more.
• Complete history must be taught. Teaching accurate, honest, comprehensive, age-appropriate history is vital for a thriving democracy.
• Diversity should be celebrated, not feared. Exposure to new ideas, cultures, and human experiences help students grow and develop critical thinking skills.
• Schools have to be safe. Common sense gun control and safety measures are absolutely necessary.
• Trust the experts. Science and expert health officials should guide public health and safety decisions; not fear and disinformation.
• Everyone deserves a safe learning environment. Historically marginalized communities are protected under the law. We support those who honor those protections and provide a safe learning environment for ALL.
• There is no "teacher shortage." However, there is a shortage of proper respect, compensation, safety, and autonomy for educators and staff. These need to be addressed to be able to recruit new teachers and to bring our seasoned teachers back.
• We need more Mental Health Services. Students need more access to mental health services across communities inclusive of social-emotional learning programs.
• We support parents who work with schools for the betterment of ALL students. Exclusionary, discriminatory, and hostile practices combined with disinformation are a danger to our schools and society
Our #1 Belief is that NO group or individual should dominate or control what happens in ANY public setting. That is not a democracy.
Position Statements to Share on Social Media!
Click to view larger version, download and share!